Wow! Another week flies by and we're at our 7th Compendium of Curiosities Challenge from Studio L3. This week we're trying out pg 55 and what an elegant vintage look you get with this one. I decided to do another drawer front. This one will be for odd pieces of vintage jewelry. As you can see I used an old clip on earring as the drawer pull here. Inks used were Latte, Rust, Espresso and Raisin. Images from Dover Clipart freebies. And the Alpha Rain Dots are from Cloud9 Design.
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
I found these 2 old seed cabinets at the Good Will a few months ago with the intent to use them for storage of various art and collage supplies. I sanded and painted them a rum raisin color and decided it was time to start decorating the drawer fronts. The Comependium of Curiosities Challenge over at Studio L3 seems to be the perfect way to adorn these little beauties. So, my first drawer is now complete using the Multi-Medium Callage technique found on page 66. I used an old butterfly window ornament as my base for the technique and wired some beads into the cutouts of the wings. I also applied the technique to some grunge letters for the title and will store my handmade bugs in this drawer.
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
I was using some of the backgrounds I had made lately, this one is one of the alcohol ink monoprints. It reminded me so much of waves crashing on a beach or cove that I dug out my CS Sunken Treasure sailboat and embossed it with glacier blue EP. It looks like a ghostly boat seeking shelter from a storm to me.
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
This weeks Compendium of Curiosities Challenge at Studio L3 offered me a chance for a 3-for. These will be my September ATCs for the swap at PaperArtistsOnline and I challenged myself to use the colors (Brown, Tan and Blue) for Christy's color challenge at PAO as well. You can see I added a little hardware after I followed the instructions on page 43 using Frayed Burlap Distress Powder and I thought my umbrella man needed some actual raindrops. The title says "Bumbershoot" in honor of the annual Seattle festival in September.
I also want to say thank you for all the very nice comments people have been leaving on my blog. I appreciate each and every one of them.
Monday, July 12, 2010
I was working on a swap yesterday and came up with these. They are made from coffee filters (the flat kind with a hole in the middle). First, I folded the filters into a cone; then cut the ripple edges in 3 different sizes. Next I spread them all out and dripped different alcohol inks onto them letting the colors blend; let dry. Stack 3 together, largest to smallest with a dab of glue in the center. Tuck 2 leaves behind and glue in place. Add a button to the center with some stickles or other glue and cover with 2 coordinating stickle colors and finally brush some stickles with your finger over the edges. Voila'! Coffee Filter Flowers!
Wednesday, July 7, 2010
I never would have thought to run watercolor paper through my printer, but that is exactly what Lesson 6 of Jessica Sprague's digi tips and tricks for cards class was all about. All of the images are digital brushes from http://www.designfruit.com/ a wonderful site and you can download free samples too!! The sentiments are all from various Club Scrap kits and the background papers are unknown as they've been in my stash awhile. I used Twinkling H2O's for all of my watercoloring.
Tuesday, July 6, 2010
I have a few swaps coming up and thought this week's Compendium of Curiosities Challenge, Shabby Chic, from Studio L3 might help me get started. These are my July ATCs for the swap at Paper Artist's Online. I stamped the tile UM from Club Scrap's Artifacts kit to do the embossing; it's very subtle and hard to see here. Then I lightened up the stream paint a little and stamped the Artifacts fish in the center. I cut J's out of more grunge and painted them silver, then embossed with Peacock EP. I fashioned the rest of the word July out of colored wire and attached with a brad. The waves are made with the Surf's Up (CS) stencil and peacock and white EP mixed together.
Sunday, July 4, 2010
I am currently taking the Jessica Sprague online class Digital Card Tricks and this is what I created this week. I'm having a wonderful time learning all kinds of tips and tricks in PSE8. The first card uses the template from class with Club Scrap's new Destinations kit. The bottom 2 use the templates and images downloaded with the class, including the cool camera brushes by Lizzabeth, http://lizzabeth.deviantart.com/ I can hardly wait to see what she has in store for us this week.